Follow Me On Twitter!

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Getting my feet wet

Okay so this blogging thing is big. And you all know I am into the latest thing. Right. But I started thinking about those thoughts I have as I am driving down the road. You know because you have your own. The thoughts about sports. Politics. Religion. Society. That guy in front of me with the "BADONE" vanity plate swerving in and out of traffic at light speed. Whatever the thoughts are about everyone needs an outlet. Well this is my outlet. Blogging.

So I am diving in head first. Every few days I'll pop out here and discuss things on my mind.

One thing I won't be discussing is work. In fact that is today's Steven's World topic: People that identify themselves by what they do for a living. You know people like this, the ones that within 5 seconds of greeting you have asked you what you do for a living, and then launch into a diatribe about what they do for a living. They have nothing else interesting to say because all they have in their life that they are proud of is their job. That is sad.

For me a career is a means to an end. I have to work to eat, pay the bills, take care of my family, etc. But I am not my job. My job does not define who I am as a person. The fact that I make more money than the next guy doesn't make me better than him. Nor does the fact that the next guy makes more money than I do mean that he is any more important or any better of a human-being than I am. For me a job is like underwear, when the current one isn’t doing the "job" anymore, you change it.

So remember, the person that you are isn't defined by your job title. Whether you are a street-sweeper, a roofer, a doctor, a factory-worker, a desk jockey, a used-car salesman, whatever, what really defines you is how you treat others. What really defines you is where you place God in your life. What really defines you is whether or not you put your family ahead of career pursuits. Have a job, don't be a job.

Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

Alice said...

I enjoyed your articles, Steve. You are a great writer and very talented in all you do. I am so glad that you are such a close cousin/friend to Don...you have been extremely close to both of my boys and they couldn't have chosen a nicer cousin to buddy with.....love you and your sweet family, aunt A.