Follow Me On Twitter!

Friday, January 30, 2009

My Zune Tunes

For Christmas my wife got me a 16GB Zune. For those that don't know, that is a MP3 player. Bascially Microsoft's version of the iPod.

I immediately began ripping my favorite CDs to MP3s. Ripping is the process of taking CDs and turning them into MP3s. I have just a few CDs left now to rip from my entire CD catalog (roughly 300 discs). I have many more albums on cassette which I will eventually need to purchase, and I will probably do that by buying them already in MP3 format.

The headphones, actually the kind of earbuds that sit in your ear, that came with the Zune are very inadequate. The quality of the music was just subpar listening to them through those. So I picked up a pair of Klipsch Custom 2s, for $99 at Guitar Center. That is roughly half off the usual price.

These Custom 2s are inner-ear buds. They actually go into your ear canal as opposed to just sitting in the opening of your ear. These things make the music really come alive! The crispness of the music is outstanding. The bass is very surprising, though not as rich as bigger speakers or headphones could produce. It would be physcially impossible to replicate the deep bass of a 15" woofer in small earbuds, but the Custom 2s actually do a decent job.

So I now have all my favorite music at my fingertips. The Zune is small enough to fit in a pocket, and the Custom 2s came with a case that is large enough to store your MP3 player as well as the earbuds themselves. The Zune itself comes with a small LCD to display the album cover art of the song you are listening to as well as the song title and the time remaining in the song. It is amazing to hold so many songs in such a small unit, and have the album art to look at if you want to. What an amazing world we live in!

So you'll have to pardon my typos in this blog. I may very well be listening to Night Ranger while I type.

No comments: