Follow Me On Twitter!

Monday, April 13, 2009

Must See, The Movie Edition: Fireproof

If you are married, getting married, or ever plan on being married in the future, then you need to see this movie. Really, you do. It could help keep you from ending up divorced.

The movie itself is not going to take Hollywood by storm. It isn't the best shot, acted, written, and produced movie to ever be made. However, it is more than adequate in all of those areas. More importantly, the content of the film is top-notch. The message is outstanding. It is a movie you can watch without becoming embarrassed. And it will take you on a roller-coaster ride of emotions.

The basic premise is that firefighter Caleb Holt (played by Kirk Cameron) and his wife, Catherine, are headed for divorce. Caleb's father talks him into following a plan to save his marriage called "The Love Dare". It is a 40 day program. Caleb agrees to do it but is only halfhearted in his attempts to follow the plan. His wife also is balking at accepting his attempts as she has become jaded, and has begun to fall for a young doctor at the hospital that she does PR work for.

By the end of the movie Caleb has rediscovered his love for his wife through the plan his father put him on, and has realized that his own life wasn't what it should have been. To me that is the most important message of this movie: in order to be right for someone else you need to be right yourself.

Caleb falls into the same trap so many of us husbands get caught in. We become selfish, self-absorbed, bitter, and resentful. We shut out our wives and start to think the grass is greener in the pastures of our single friends, and friends that have more subservient wives. Until we discover that the problem with our marriages lies within us we cannot overcome these impediments.

I fell into this trap myself several years ago, so this movie hit way too close to home for me. I wish it had been out 4 years ago, but at least it is out now. The learning I did when I realized I had become a selfish, jerk of a husband made me stand up and take responsibility for what I was doing to my marriage. Luckily, like Caleb, I was able to save it before it was too late!

I urge everyone to see this movie, but especially married couples. If your marriage is not doing too well, this movie would be especially helpful to you. As long as you are together there is still hope. Pick up this DVD today!

2 comments:

Writer X said...

I agree with you completely on this movie. I saw this a couple of weeks ago. Certainly not the glossiest movie ever made but the message is sincere and clear. Must-see TV for any couple.

gsimmons85 said...

if you liked htis movie, the other one they did was called "facing the giants"

another really good movie with a good message, espically for coaches..