Follow Me On Twitter!

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Obama Doctrine: Do What I Want and Lie About It Later

Obama is starting to remind me of my 5 year-old. She often does things she knows she isn't supposed to do, then denies it after the fact.

"Did you eat that candy after I told you not to?"

"No."

"Where did it go then?"

"I don't know."

I have had this exchange with my 5 year-old a couple of times. See if it sounds familiar.

"Did you fly a jet that looks like Air Force One low over ground zero today?"

"No."

"Then who did?"

"I don't know."

This has been the most apparent thing to me in Obama's first 100 days. Say and do what you want, then deny it later. One day we aren't going to prosecute Bush administration officials over "torture" tactics. The next we are. The next we are not. We are going to renew the "assault weapons" ban. The next we are not. The next we are again.

Think I am kidding? Here is the exchange about the Air Force One incident at the White House briefing yesterday conducted by the genius that is Press Secretary Robert Gibbs:

Q It doesn't -- it's not a concern at all to the administration that you don't have your person there and then they don't have their people there? Not at all?

Second question, do you guys feel you owe folks in New York City this morning an apology for this incident having to do with the airplane that looks like Air Force One with two fighter jets? There seemed to be a lot of panic --

MR. GIBBS: I would point you to the FAA or Air Force.

Q Everybody's pointing us to the White House Military Office, so that's why --

MR. GIBBS: Well, then I would contact the White House --

Q Well, the White House Military Office won't tell us anything -- they'll refer us to you. (Laughter.)

MR. GIBBS: Well, then let me go discuss with the White House Military -- I don't -- I have seen some news reports but --

Q What was the photo op for?

MR. GIBBS: I don't know. That's -- I have no information on this other than what I saw --

Q I mean, I understand the way this works. I'm just saying, appearance-wise, it's odd that you guys don't have a response. I mean, this is the President's aircraft or what looks like --

MR. GIBBS: I understand. I was working on other things. You might be surprised to know I don't know of every movement of Air Force One or what happens to it. But I will certainly talk to the Military Office.

Q -- very edgy about it.

Q A follow-up?

MR. GIBBS: What's that? No, let's go to -- yes.


Do whatever you want, then deny it later. I love how he tells them to contact the White House! As Press Secretary he IS the White House to the press. That would be like the Pope telling you to contact the Catholic Church. What an idiot.

Remember Obama's bow to the Saudi King (did what he wanted)? Remember the official White House response afterward (lied about it and denied it later).

So 100 days in and the Obama Doctrine is to do whatever you want, then deny it later. This should be a fun next 1000 days.

1 comment:

Writer X said...

Deny or just blame someone else. Even 5-year olds own up to gaffes after a while. Gibbs has become a caricature.