Follow Me On Twitter!

Friday, May 29, 2009

Ode To Craig T. Nelson

Let me start by saying I have been a fan of Craig T. Nelson's since I was 14 years old. I remember watching him in Poltergeist on HBO and just really enjoying his work. I felt he was as fine of an actor as can be found in Hollywood, and I was a big fan of his throughout the 80s.

Then along came Coach. I cannot help being biased here because Coach is my all time favorite show, ever. Bar none. I think it was the best and greatest sitcom ever. (Everybody Loves Raymond being a close second.) Coach is one of those shows that I can watch over and over and over again. Most of that is due to Nelson, who was incredible as Coach Hayden Fox. Coach also had one of the best supporting casts in the history of television, but Nelson is what propelled the show.

I have always wondered what Craig T. Nelson's politics are. Considering he is a Hollywood actor I didn't have much hope, and I have always given actors like him and Brendan Frasier a ton of credit for staying out of politics, at least publicly. They are entertainers and shouldn't be running around the country stumping for candidates and expounding on social issues.

Then the 1990s and 2000s happened. And every liberal actor and actress (yes I still use the feminine word to describe female actors, sue me) came out of the woodwork to endorse Clinton, Gore, Kerry, and Obama. You couldn't go a day without a liberal actor bashing a conservative politician. Or bad mouthing our country. Or disparaging our troops. Or bashing big business, espousing big government, or endorsing the murdering of innocent, unborn humans. And, of course, bashing the 2nd amendment.

So now when an actor or actress comes out and espouses conservative ideals I stand and applaud. After all I like to be entertained, and I like to think some of the people that entertain me are like-minded with my thinking. It isn't a necessity as I still am a fan of Billy Joel (a Democratic atheist) and John Cusack (a liberal Democrat). So it was so refreshing to come across this at one of my favorite blogs, Big Hollywood.



Preach on Coach, errr, Mr. Nelson. Seriously, this guy is well-spoken, and funny, and he is right on with these issues.

Now the Coach theme song (fictional Minnesota State fight song) will be stuck in my head all day!

12 comments:

nanc said...

i caught him on beck also! never missed an episode of coach.

Writer X said...

Saw this on BH. It's comforting to see some sanity in such insanity.

AndrewPrice said...

This brought a smile to my face!

4simpsons said...

That's encouraging! Always nice to see a little sanity in the entertainment world.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

"I've been on foodstamps and welfare, anybody help me out? No!"

Imbecile.

LoneWolfArcher said...

Anonymous.

First, way to take the coward's way out and post anonymously.

Second, Nelson's point, which you obviously missed, is a good one. Sometimes when people are down and out the worst thing to do is to help them. It is called "enabling". Nelson was motivated by his situation and pulled himself by the boot-straps. Why are liberals so dead set against self empowerment?

PMorgan said...

Why did he accept food stamps and welfare from the government ? I am shocked that he could be so stupid not to realize and understand that "YES" he was helped out by all of US collectively the taxpayers of the USA that fed him, helped pay for the clothes om his back, and helped him pay for shelter and now that he is a millionaire he does not want to pay taxes...so he is stupid and selfish...no wonder FOX loves him.

LoneWolfArcher said...

Ahhh yes, liberals love this stuff. Guess what, my family went on food stamps in the 70s. Yet I am dead set against government entitlements. I guess I am hypocritical.

When you are those situations you do what you need to survive. Nelson did what he had to do. If the government wasn't in that business, which they shouldn't be/have been, then he would have went to private charity.

Government is the PROBLEM, not the solution.

Kurt said...

You guys do realize he said no one ever helped him...if you don't count the welfare and food stamps. What an idiot.

LoneWolfArcher said...

Kurt, what you don't realize is that welfare and food stamps help NO ONE. It is just further enslaving people to the government.

But hey, you believe what you want.

Idiot.

Anonymous said...

I agree 100%

Giving food to a hungry person is enslavement. And providing them with shelter and the means to find a job when they could have the character-enriching experience of homelessness is very close to tyranny.

USA! USA! USA!