Follow Me On Twitter!

Monday, July 27, 2009

Film Discussion: Knowing (2009)



I watched this movie last night and I am still trying to come to terms with it. If you haven't seen it but plan to, stop here. There will be spoilers.

So what was this movie trying to say? Were those weird alien dudes angels? Does God use UFOs to transport his angels? Was that the tree of life at the end of the movie? Was it a modern day retelling of Noah's Ark?

I like some of the points this movie made. I like the interaction between Nicolas Cage's character and his father. I like that by the end of the movie he realized that the world was more than a random happenstance and that there was more meaning to life than just what we can see, touch, hear, smell, and taste. That the spiritual is more important than the physical.

Obviously, the movie didn't jive with Biblical teaching and therefore shouldn't be looked at from a scriptural frame of reference. But it was a good movie, with great special effects.

As I said I am still digesting this film. Please feel free to give your take in the comments, or provide links in the comments to the read others took on this film. I am interested to read how other people felt about this film

1 comment:

Writer X said...

Okay, this is too weird LoneWolf! I watched this movie last weekend, mostly because I am a Nicolas Cage fan.

I thought the movie was good, not great, although I did enjoy it. I figured those blonde guys were aliens of some kind. I didn't get why they had to continually drive that little girl crazy (the one who wrote the note), especially after she wrote down the numbers and put it away in a time capsule.

I didn't get the black rocks. Gifts?

I did like the ending, even though it wasn't what I expected. If the kid were my son, I'd have a real hard time letting him go. I did like how Cage realized that in the end family was most important.

Overall, a good movie. Good effects. Interesting plot. And it kept me guessing. All things I like.