Follow Me On Twitter!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Ted Kennedy, RIP

I remember when Richard Nixon died. I had just started at a new job, and a far-left liberal I went to lunch with during my first week there paid her respects by uttering: "Richard Nixon was an -censored-hole". I was only 25 years old and it was my first introduction to how liberals treat the deaths of their political enemies.

Conservatives are better.

I am not happy Ted Kennedy is dead. I take no joy in his passing. Did I like the man? No. Did I like his politics? Absolutely not. Still, he was a human-being. He has an eternal soul. I worry about his eternal existence.

Praying for "enemies" is something that religious conservatives do. Christianity demands it. But even without that, shouldn't compassion for our fellow members of mankind move us to care for them despite our differences?

The only complaint that I will vocalize about Ted Kennedy here is that he seemed to think he was outside of the rules. Maybe 47 years in the Senate germinates that kind of thinking since congress so often exempts themselves from the taxes and laws that we the common people are subject to.

Still, Ted Kennedy never thought the rules applied to him. Chappaquiddick is the most well known example. Drunk, he drives his car into a pond, and swims away. His passenger dies and he doesn't report the incident until after her body is recovered. An ordinary citizen would have been in major trouble for those actions.

At the end of his life, Kennedy also wanted the rules changed. Currently Massachusetts' law says an election has to be held to replace Kennedy. He wanted the law changed to allow Governor Deval Patrick, a Democrat, to appoint a replacement. His concern was for the Democrats' precarious filibuster proof majority, and preserving that in the interim. I don't think Kennedy would have requested that had Massachusetts currently had a Republican governor.

Despite his flaws, despite the fact that I sometimes questioned his love of country, he did dedicate his life to public service. He will be missed by both those that liked and those that disliked him. I think his perspective now in the afterlife is completely opposite of what it was while he was alive on this earth. Unfortunately, it is too late.

Brain cancer is a terrible way to die, and no one deserves that. I hope his final days were as comfortable and pain-free as possible.

Rest in peace, Ted.

2 comments:

Writer X said...

Well said, LoneWolf.

nanc said...

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+= me - not saying something mean. zippenzeelippenzeed!