Follow Me On Twitter!

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Patrick Swayze Passes Away And The Remake Of Red Dawn

So last night I happened to flip to the local news, which I almost never do. Turns out that they are filming a remake of the Cold War classic Red Dawn. Why you'd want to try to remake perfection itself is beyond me! (Seriously, I love Red Dawn!) The filming is currently being shot on location in Macomb Township, here in Michigan.

During the news report on the filming, the newscaster reported that "the late Patrick Swayze, who passed away tonight", starred in the original Red Dawn.

With that I learned of Patrick Swayze's passing.

Swayze was one of my favorite actors despite movies like Dirty Dancing and Ghost. (Either of which I have never seen all the way through.) I never cared for those roles, which ironically brought him the biggest part of his stardom. For me Swayze will be known best for 3 movies: The Outsiders, Red Dawn, and Point Break.

I loved him in all 3 of those movies. I didn't realize until years later that he was much older than me, 17 years actually. Still I always liked him in those movies mentioned. He had some other decent movies as well, including Roadhouse and The Next Of Kin.

The Outsiders, Red Dawn, and Point Break will always be among my favorite movies. And Swayze is a big part of that. Red Dawn was the quintessential Swayze role for me. The patriotism he displayed through that role will always be remembered by me. That Charlie Sheen, 9/11 denier that he is, also starred in that movie makes me sick.

RIP Patrick.

As far as the remake of Red Dawn, I am not happy about it. Red Dawn was set in a time when war with the USSR was a real threat. The Cold War was in full swing. Reagan had not yet defeated the Soviets. It was a perfect movie, showing U.S. civilian freedom fighters against an invading force, at the perfect time.

Why they feel the need to ruin the original with a remake is beyond me. I am sure they will pull their typical Hollywood anti-war, political correctness crap with the script. I am not looking forward to that. You'll know immediately, without having to see the film, if they do. The critics hated the original because it was a U.S. rah-rah-fest. If the producers of this movie take the PC, anti-war direction with this new film the critics will be fawning.

I'll wait for the regular TV cut on this one............

1 comment:

Writer X said...

LoneWolf, I loved RED DAWN too and don't want to see it redone. Why redo something that was perfect? I don't get that.

I also loved him in DIRTY DANCING, too. And I did cry my eyes out watching GHOST. He really was a gifted actor.