Follow Me On Twitter!

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Raise Your Hand If You Think You Pay Too Much For Energy

Okay, I see you all raised your hands. Now how would you like your energy costs to increase dramatically?

That could be what we are facing:

Click here: Obama Admin: Cap And Trade Could Cost Families $1,761 A Year

A couple of things about this. First, these estimates are by the Obama administration, and they are FOR the cap and trade bill. So right there that should tell you that the estimate is low since they want to try to minimize the impact of this in order to help it become law. Second, $1761/year is not insignificant.

I'll take my situation as a for instance. I currently pay about $290/month for gas and electric costs for my home. $146.75/month ($1761/12) would mean my new energy costs would be $436.75/month. SIGN ME UP! That is an over 50% increase.

Not sure about you, but that doesn't make me too happy. Considering the middle-class tax break Obama provided for me in his economic stimulus bill netted me about $24/month. That means I am about $122/month to the bad thanks to Obama's presidency. Hope and change baby!

Now factor in the fact that the Obama administration WANTS this legislation, and you realize that the actual cost will probably be closer to this (from the article):

House Republican Leader John Boehner has estimated the additional tax bill would be at $366 billion a year, or $3,100 a year per family.


Let's split the difference and say it will be a $2431 per year increase. Now my energy bill per month just went to $492.58. Thank you Barack, may I have another?

Seriously folks, I fear we are so wrapped up in the health care debate that we may let cap and trade become law while our defenses are down. Both universal health care, and cap and trade must be defeated. In the worst economic crisis since the great depression, shouldn't we be looking at ways to decrease economic pressure on American families, not increase it?

As usual, Obama is letting his left-wing ideology get in the way of what is good for the country.

No comments: