Follow Me On Twitter!

Monday, December 07, 2009

One Man's Opinion.....

A local sports columnist, Joe Falls (RIP), used to do these columns occasionally where he'd share a brief opinion on a variety of topics. I've always wanted to do something similar so today is the day. Some of these may be longer, others may be shorter. But all will be MY opinion as I wax philosophical on several, diverse topics.
  • One of my former coworkers has dedicated his blog to writing about comic books. He even wrote a book on his "rebirth" as a comic book fan in adulthood. I say bully for him, different strokes for different folks. I still get nostalgic thumbing through the comic collection of my youth, but have not had any desire to rekindle that fire. In fact, occasionally looking at today's modern comics at book stores has cemented the fact that I am, and always will be, a former comic fan. Too much has changed in the industry since the heyday of the 80s. I haven't been fond of many of the changes, including the cover price. How kids today can afford to buy the number of comics I used to buy on a weekly basis is beyond me. My comic book enjoyment will from henceforth be limited to watching the comic heroes of my youth come alive on the silver screen.
  • Imagine for a moment if you will, that emails from an expert source, on any number of subjects, proved a bias in promoting one viewpoint on the given subject despite what the true evidence suggested. Say the emails showed an effort to prove guns were used more for personal protection than for crime. Or that cigarettes weren't as bad for you as some claim. Or maybe that some enemy of the United States had a stockpile of WMDs. The mainstream media would jump on those emails and make it national news for weeks, if not months. Yet when there are emails showing a bias toward something like, say global warming, the MSM goes into a shell hoping we aren't paying attention. Sickening.
  • 68 years ago the Japanese launched a sneak attack on Pearl Harbor. Much like September 11th, we should NEVER forget. Many gave their lives to protect this country's freedoms. They deserve all the respect that we can pay them and more.
  • The fact that health care is still being debated is unconscionable. Every opinion poll taken on it proves that the majority of the Americans are against government-run health care. Yet Obama and his minions are bent on getting it passed. Much like the stimulus, it is nothing more than political favors for getting him elected. The Obama attitude? Who cares what the American people want if it will forward his ideological agenda. Double sickening.
  • November 2010 can't get here soon enough. Nuff said..........
  • The new Motorola Droid cellphone looks phenomenal. If I wasn't such a tightwad I would buy one with a data and web plan. But instead I will keep my 3 year-old phone, with only the ability to make and receive calls. After all, that is what cellphones are for.
  • My luck in deer hunting has run out. After several years of seeing deer every time I went into the woods, this year I haven't been seeing deer at all. I did get a doe early in bow season, but since then have been skunked. The Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away.
  • As the holidays approach, I find myself listening to the radio stations that play holiday music 24/7. Maybe it is an age thing, I don't know, but I can't get enough! On that note, have a holly, jolly Christmas, it's the best time of the year!

No comments: