Follow Me On Twitter!

Friday, September 10, 2010

Don' Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Activist Judge

I love our country, I really do. What I don't like is when left-wing whack-job judges in California get to make rulings about things that will affect all of us around the country. A few weeks ago a gay federal judge in California said that California's voter-approved constitutional amendment making marriage between one man and one woman (what else would marriage be?!?) was unconstitutional.

Then yesterday we have this:

Click here for story: Calif judge to stop 'don't ask, don't tell' policy

Don't ask don't tell seemed like a compromise liberals could live with. After all, what is this need to be "open" about our sexuality. I don't go around proclaiming my heterosexuality. It seems openness about being gay is something you'd only need to worry about in a gay bar.

Prior to 1993 there had been a ban on homosexuals in the military. If you were gay then don't even apply. Then the military went, in a compromise with the Clinton administration, to this "don't ask don't tell" policy. Basically, gays could join but if they were outed during service then they were discharged.

Many gays saw don't ask don't tell as a victory at the time. They celebrated. Here we are several years later and that is no longer good enough. If you can't dress in drag, and hit on your fellow soldiers, then apparently your rights are being violated. This mirrors the gay-rights fight in the civilian world as well.

First gays wanted to just be left alone. "You don't have to like my being gay but at least don't beat me up for it." That wish came to fruition in the 70s and 80s. Other than a few isolated incidents, gays have been largely left alone to be gay together.

Then suddenly forced acceptance became the goal. Suddenly Christian business owners were forced to take patronage from gays. Preaching and teaching that being gay is a sin is becoming intolerable. Lawsuits abound today over these issues as gays are no longer content with being left alone.

That I have a right to condemn a behavior I see as immoral seems to be going the way of the Dodo. I think it is immoral for a man and woman to cohabitate before marriage. Should I not be allowed to express that? I think it is wrong for men and women to have sex outside of marriage. Should I not be allowed to express that? There are lots of behaviors I find to be immoral, being a practicing gay is one of those behaviors.

And spare me the hate-filled emails and comments about folks being born gay. To me that isn't even an issue. It could be argued that pedophiles are born that way, that doesn't make the practice of pedophilia any more acceptable. It could be argued that serial murderers are born that way but that in no way excuses serial murder.

No the issue has changed from being left alone to "you better accept my lifestyle or else". I reject that. I reject it on moral grounds but I also reject it on legal grounds. I have a legal right to make judgments based on behaviors that I deem worthy or unworthy of my approval. That's just the way it is.

So this ruling is wrong. I think the military has a right to say we won't accept people based on certain criteria. If you have certain medical conditions, if you have certain crimes on in your past, if you engage in anti-American activities, and yes if you are gay. This judge got it wrong. And I think she got it wrong on purpose to support her own personal agenda.

And that is disgusting.

1 comment:

daniel noe said...

I'm allowed to say I find eating a stick of butter disgusting. I'm allowed to say I find sweet relish disgusting. If I say I find homosexuality disgusting (not having anything to do with morals), I get hate mail.