Follow Me On Twitter!

Monday, May 02, 2011

Bin Laden Dead! My Thoughts

So last night, at about 1am, my wife woke me up to inform me that Osama Bin Laden was dead at the hands of American forces. I turned on Fox News and the coverage was on! Great news. Of course as more and more comes out about all of this I am finding some interesting things. Here are a few of my initial thoughts:

1) Gitmo detainees provided the information that led to Bin Laden's location in Pakistan. If Obama had closed Gitmo in Jan. of 2010, as he said he would, we may never have received the information. Even if we already had the information it is still an argument for the initial idea of opening Gitmo and detaining terror suspects there. I doubt Obama will admit this.

2) Obama HAD to have Bin Laden killed. The political firestorm of capturing and detaining him would have gone against everything Obama has been preaching since he began his run for president in 2007. Holding him indefinitely, and never bringing him to trial would have had those on the left howling in protest. No, Obama had to get Bin Laden dead, not alive.

3) Unilateral operation. Those words keep ringing in my ears. I am actually impressed that Obama had the guts to pull this off, but I am also shaking my head at his hypocrisy. Is unilateral military action right or wrong? For years he railed against it, but when it was convenient he ordered it. I am glad he did, but hope he will no dial down the anti-Bush rhetoric on the subject.

So while I am happy, and pleasantly surprised,  I am also going to be watching Obama's handling of the aftermath with keen interest. I already have noticed that in his statement last night he used I and me an awful lot.

1 comment:

daniel noe said...

As I read your post, Oprah was playing on television at the pub I was at. Michelle Obama just said, "It wasn't about whether he was ready to be president, it was about whether we were all ready for him to be president, whether we were ready for change..."

"I and me" indeed.