Follow Me On Twitter!

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Good NYT Article On Andre Agassi

Two years after his auto-biography, which I reviewed here, Andre does an interview with the New York Times. A couple of weeks old, it is a pretty good article. Nothing earth shattering here, but he does answer the question about why he hasn't gone into commentary.

Click here for the article: Agassi’s Post-Tennis Career Is Anything but Restful

On going into commentary:
I think to be a good commentator, you have to stay really involved in the game. Otherwise, you grow disconnected to it as it morphs and changes and gets better. When I was leaving the game, the spins and the Nadals, Federers and the way they can make the ball do whatever they want was something I experienced. So I can talk about it quite extensively.

But all of the sudden, you start seeing guys who come out. They are different kinds of players. They are bigger. They are stronger and I haven’t competed against them, so to really talk about it in an educated way, you have to be out there. So it’s a lot more to me than just showing up and talking about tennis. I don’t really do anything halfway anymore in my life.

I kind of commit to something or don’t, and leaving the family and traveling to go stay connected to the game in a way that allows me to talk about it the way I would like is just much more of a commitment than I can afford to take on at this time.
Class act all the way. He is still someone I admire.

No comments: